Monday, January 10, 2011

"Chicken" Salad Sandwiches and Cream Cheese Swirled Brownies.


I haven't written in a few day's our internet has been really slow. We have been busy using all our christmas gift cards so I haven't cooked much. Before I became vegetarian, one of my favorite things my mom would make were chicken salad sandwiches. Well I haven't had one in probably over 5 years until last Saturday. My sister-in-law Carly made some for my other sister-in-law's baby shower but she made mine with tofu. I like tofu but it just wasn't the same without chicken =[ So I decided to make it using the Quorn brand of mock chicken tenders. I made Jake's of course with real chicken. And anyways it turned out delicious!!!! I was very pleased. So here is the recipe:

Chickenless Salad Sanwiches

2 C Quorn Chicken tenders (or your favorite brand)
1/4 C red onion
1/4 c grapes, quartered
2 celery stalks, diced small
1/4-1/3 C Mayonnaise (I don't like mayo much so I used half ranch dressing half mayo)
1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powders
Baby arugula
Salt and pepper to taste
Croissants


Cook chicken according to package and season with the garlic powder. Then mix all the ingredients together except croissants and arugula. Fill croissant with some of the mixture and put arugula on it. YUMMY!!!



For dessert I was craving brownies so I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. I added chocolate chips and a cream cheese swirl. They turned out really moist and delicious!!! Here is the recipe:


Cream Cheese Brownies

  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cup white sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

8 0z Cream Cheese
1/3 C sugar
1 Egg
1/2 tsp Vanilla


Melt butter and beat sugar in. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients in a seperate bowl and add slowly to butter mixture. Pour in a 9x13 pan. Beat cream cheese until creamy. Add the rest of the ingredients drop in spoonfuls on top of brownie mixture then swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Test with a toothpick.


4 comments:

  1. I love Chicken Salad too, except with real chicken... So how come your vegetarian? For the animals, or cause its way healthier? I like seeing your vegetarian recipes, I love meat, but I would like to cook a meal a week without meat or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, so you know I was a veggie for 7 years, no meat, no eggs etc...none! Except (your post some how jogged my memory) once I was helping out with a baby shower and we were putting together these AMAZING smelling chicken salad sandwiches, so when no one was looking, I shoved a little one in my mouth. Loved it. Those things are so good, and I don't love chicken...still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was probably my favorite so far! it was so good i had to take it to work for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah i never liked chicken its a pretty nasty animal ha but the fake chicken is soooooo yummmy =]

    ReplyDelete