Monday, October 21, 2013

Caramel-Apple Pie with the Perfect All Butter Flaky Pie Crust







A week ago, I came across a pie crust recipe and tutorial on Smitten Kitchen, that is to die for.  I followed the recipe step by step and was blown away.

I have to admit I have only made pie crust a few other times and mostly for just the crust, with some butter and cinnamon sugar on it.  One of the treats I was raised on.

My family (who makes pies often) was blown away too.  My mom said she has never gotten a crust that flaky before.  And said the whole pie was worthy of a pie contest.

Another great thing is that it is made with ALL butter.  If you search the internet you will find people saying you cant get it that flaky with all butter.  Well they are WRONG!   I tried to capture the flaky-ness in the bottom picture but I don't think that even does it justice.  Both my sisters said it reminded them of phyllo dough.  Trust me you will want to give it a try.

Last night I decided to make the crust again, not even knowing what i was making it for.  I had a few extra apples lying around and decided to try a classic apple pie with a caramel twist :)

Here is a great tip on how to do the lattice top.  I found it very helpful. Found at Gimme Some Oven.

Yummy!  I hope you will try out this recipe and definitely the crust.


Caramel-Apple Pie with the Perfect All Butter Flaky Pie Crust

For the Pie crust I am just going to send you on over to Smitten Kitchen to follow her steps to get it just perfect.

Pie Filling

4 large apples (I used granny smith), cubed
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup caramel balls
Sea salt
1 egg white, lightly beaten
sugar for sprinkling the top

Preheat oven to 500 degrees with a baking sheet on bottom level.

Combine apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, flour and lemon juice in a large bowl and mix to combine.  

prepare pie crust in a pie pan and pour apple filling in the crust.  Sprinkle the caramel balls and sea salt on top of the apples.  Top the pie with crust to your liking, brush lightly with egg whites and top with sugar.  

Bake in preheated oven on pan on bottom rack and reduce heat to 425 degrees, bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.  Reduce heat to 375 degrees, rotate pie and bake for 30 more minutes. 

Remove, enjoy :)





No comments:

Post a Comment