Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili with Avocado




It's been fall weather for a few weeks here in Utah.  It always gets me excited for Soups, Chili, Pumpkin treats and the fall wardrobe.  

I normally make my Meatless Chili and Mexican Cornbread but found this recipe on Pinterest and decided to give it a try.  I LOVE butternut squash and avocado so I knew it would be good.  

The cinnamon gives it just enough sweetness to go with the chipotle adobo spice.  It's the perfect mixture of spicy and sweet, even my husband gave it a thumbs up.

I found the original recipe at Cookie and Kate.

Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili with Avocado

1 medium red onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 lb), chopped
4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
2 Tb olive oil
ground sea salt
pepper
1 Tb chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 Tb chipotle in adobo, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp cinnamon
14 oz. can diced tomatoes, including liquid
4 cups cooked black beans or 2 cans, rinsed and drained
14 oz. can vegetable broth, about 2 cups
2 avocados, diced
chips, for topping
cilantro

Throw everything into a slow cooker besides the avocado, chips and cilantro and turn to high heat.  Let cook for 4-6 hours.

Top with avocados, chips and cilantro when finished.

Enjoy :)








No comments:

Post a Comment